Wednesday, May 9, 2007

update

I know I've been very out-of-touch, and hopefully I can get up to speed now. I have lots of photos of the kids over the last couple of months that I'll be busy uploading.

I'm finally coming out of my first trimester and feeling well again. It was rough going for awhile there, and many days I just ate saltines and tried to get by. The kids have had their various viruses, as well, including Ada's strange reaction to one virus that had her covered head-to-toe in giant, drug-resistant hives for over a week. Now that we are healthy and it is gorgeous outside - 80 degrees and sunny - I kind of have this feeling that I am coming out of hibernation.

For people who are asking to know what everyday life is like, here is a snapshot of our day today...

Today, Jonas had a screening at Taipei American School to see what grade level he fits into, since his birthday is right on the border between kindergarten and first grade. On our way in, he dropped his lollypop that he'd received from the doctor earlier this morning (he has pink-eye and a stopped-up nose - he says little people called the Booger People live in his nose and, among other things, they make him do naughty things). I felt bad about the lollypop because I knew he was nervous about the screeing, so I promised a trip to child-mecca, 7-11, afterwards.

At 7-11, he picked out an ultra-man belt for himself and some bubbles for Ada. He was so excited about the belt and couldn't wait to get home to put together his whole outfit, with the belt and also black gloves he got a few weeks ago. He talked about it all day and begged to have time to play with the new toy.

When we finally got home, what did he play with? The ultra-man belt? No. Dish towels. He and Ada fashioned them around themselves with rubber bands and danced like crazy for well over an hour. You can see it here. I'm not complaining, because I'm proud of how clever he and Ada can be with everyday objects, but why do I even bother buying toys in the first place?

After dinner (tofu and rice with broccoli), I was busy in the kitchen making gazpacho for guests tomorrow when Ada, naked, walked into the kitchen with a worried look on her face: "I pooped." I figured she wouldn't be so worried if the poop had gone into the toilet, so I followed her out to the living room and saw it on the rug. I couldn't fashion a warning fast enough for Jonas, who unknowingly walked through the poop in his socks. Smeared poop on rug and socks. Great.

Ada went into the bath, Jonas helped me Shout out the stain and I quickly pureed the last of the soup. We got a happy call from Peter in China, who said he's coming home tonight instead of tomorrow! Yay! Once the kids were clean and pyjama'd, we climbed into bed to read books. After books, I turned out the lights and asked the kids how many deep breaths they'd like to do together. "Pink," Ada replied. Jonas and I laughed, and she knew the answer was wrong. "Blue?" she tried again. "How about three?" I suggested. "Ada's two!" she said defiantly.

Now I am exhausted and they are asleep. I'm going to settle in with my hypnobirthing cd and hopefully get a good night's sleep myself.

Jonas at bat:
Home run!

Ada at bat:
Baba helps Ada at bat

When you have little fingers, you can put tiny shell pasta on each finger:
shell pasta on fingers!

Family circle on Peter's birthday:
Family circle on Peter's birthday

1 comment:

tinkers555 said...

glad to hear you're feeling better. love ada with the shell fingers, she looks just like you!